Monday, December 10, 2012

Samichlaus Skirmish

Dear citizens,    
     This past week was a relatively normal week for me up until Thursday. I started out my morning by missing my bus and being late for school. I got to there ten minutes after it had started and opened the door to my classroom, expecting everyone to be quietly seated while the teacher was giving the lesson. Instead, I walked in on utter chaos. Some people were running around carrying balled up, wet paper towels, while other people were shifting the tables around to form a defensive barrier. One girl was armed with a can of Axe while another was arranging all of the chairs around the door. I stood in this chaos for a couple seconds, utterly confused. Then my friend ran up to me and handed me some wet paper towels.

"Hurry, we need help getting prepared." she said

"What are we getting prepared for?" I asked

"Santa's coming." she said mysteriously

       This of course left me more confused than before, but nonetheless I set about helping as much as I could. Soon, everything was ready and we all sat down behind our table barriers and anxiously waited. Then, all of a sudden I heard it, the sound of Call Me Maybe drifting up the hall outside our door. The sound of it struck fear into our hearts as it came closer and closer. All of a sudden the door burst open and Santa came in, followed by two clowns and two Schmützli (people in black, hooded robes). Despite this fearsome sight we valiantly stood our ground and started lobbing wet missiles at our terrifying foe. We were doing well until one of the clowns pulled out a bag of flour and rushed at us while flinging the nasty stuff everywhere. I am ashamed to say that for a couple moments we broke rank and all retreated to the far corner of the room.
          However, we were saved when one brave soul rushed forward and grabbed two sufficiently sopping paper towels and managed to drive the clown back. But before we could force them into full retreat, they captured one of our soldiers and even as he fought and kicked, dragged him out of the room with them. While some people organized a rescue mission, the rest of us regrouped and started looking after the wounded and setting to rights our ruined camp. Many days later, or only a couple of minutes, a person staggered through the door. I hardly recognized him as the same soldier who had been dragged at of the room. His hair was unkempt and his shirt was ragged and dirty. We weren't even sure at first if he was one of ours or if he was an enemy, until he held up his hand in a gesture of peace and showed that he had no weapons. Some how this brave soldier had managed to escape and elude the enemy until he made it down the hallway and to the safety of the classroom. It was a hard fight and we had many casualties but at least we rest safe knowing that we beat Santa and that he won't be back until next year.
                                                                                                        Your staunch warrior,
                                                                                                                             Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment